Almaty region - the food belt of Almaty megalopolis - is located in a favorable natural and climatic zone.
The main branches of the economy:
- the largest employment sector of the population (more than 27% of total employment).
- 30 types of crops, 45 types of farm animals and more than 35 types of processed food products.
- 60.6% of industrial production in the region is the processing of agricultural products.
- 16.4% of total agricultural products in Kazakhstan.
- The leader in the production of soybeans, corn for grain, vegetables, potatoes, meat, eggs and wool.
First place in the country in the number of horses, pigs and poultry.
- Dominates the republican commodity production of tobacco products and grape wine.
- The huge potential in the production of building materials (significant deposits of facing stone, gabbro, marble, limestone, mineral salts and other minerals provides the industry with the necessary raw materials).
- 136 large and medium-sized industrial enterprises.
- The only manufacturer in the country of malt, electric batteries, plasterboard products, reinforced concrete and metal supports for high-voltage power lines, fire hydrants, silicone and synthetic winterizer. About 70 types of basic building materials and structures are produced.
- The resource base of the region is rich:
- Nonferrous metal deposits - lead, zinc, copper
- Rare metals - tungsten, tin, molybdenum, beryllium
- Precious metals - gold and silver,
- Energy brown coal, building materials.
Sources of mineral waters.
- The unique nature of Zailiysky and Dzhungarsky Alatau; Lake Alakol, Balkhash, Kapshagai reservoir, mountain lakes.
- Sources of mineral water and healing mud.
- Cultural and historical (kurgan) complexes and rock carvings.
- Mausoleums and mazars, architectural structures of the late period.
- The special economic zone “Khorgos - Eastern Gate”, the only land port in Kazakhstan, operates in the region.